Saturday, July 10, 2010

Nicholas' First Week

It has been driving me crazy that I have not updated the blog to tell the story of Nicholas' first week. I had planned to update daily starting in the hospital, but when we were there, I didn't feel like it and I have been so busy at home, it just hasn't happened. I started with last Friday and will go through yesterday. Starting tonight, I will do my VERY best (but can't promise) to update nightly.

Friday, July 2, 2010
We started the day with some visitors from my office. I work very closely with Dana and Kristy. Dana and I have worked together as RN and MA since I started there almost five years ago. She has prayed with me and for me as we waited for our miracle. She finally stopped crying long enough to take a picture with Nicholas. :-)
My Nana came with my Aunt Kelly and cousin Katie to see him. It meant a lot to me for them to meet. She actually came twice that day, once again later in the evening with my great Aunt Peggy.My Aunt Kelly made our favors for us. I didn't have them until the 2nd day considering he decided to make an early debut! Haha! They were sugar cookies with light blue icing and brown monogram. ADORABLE!

I had a busy day FULL of visitors, but unfortunately I wasn't feeling well, so very few had their picture made. That night, Melissa and Matt came back to see him. I thought this was a sweet picture of Michael, Melissa, and Nicholas.
Saturday, July 3, 2010
Saturday was a very quiet day, thank goodness! All the steady stream of visitors, difficulty nursing, and my pain made me crazy on Friday. It was a hard day. I felt better on Saturday and stayed on top of my pain meds, which I think helped a lot. The only visitors we had were Brian and Karen. That afternoon we took some pictures because we thought his little outfit was so cute. We had dressed him that morning for his hospital pictures. These next two pictures melt my heart and make me want to cry they are so sweet. Michael is so in love with Nicholas and it shows. He lights up everyday when he gets home from work and is always excited to see him.
Not my best picture, but I still like it.
That night my OB suggested that Michael go home and get our house and Spencer ready for us to come home the next night, so Gigi (my mom) came to stay with us that night. We had a good night and it was good for all of us.

Sunday, July 4, 2010
The best July 4 I've ever had! The day we brought our special little miracle baby home! Our OB came in around 11 not long after Michael came to get us and released us. We dressed him in his special little outfit Nana gave him and took a few pictures before loading up and heading home.
When we pulled up we saw our stork. SO CUTE! He should be flying home today, but not before leaving our personalized bundle.
I couldn't wait to introduce Nicholas to his room! Here we are in front of his bed where I showed him his bedding and his cute mobile.
He seemed to like his lion that sits at the opposite corner of his bed. (yes, I know to take it out before he actually sleeps in there)
I thought this was a sweet picture. I just HAD to lay him in there for a few seconds for a picture! Ha!
No one was there when we came home which was perfect. We all took a long afternoon nap and got comfy before my parents came over around 7:00 with homemade BBQ for dinner. YUM! While they were there my mom and I gave Nicholas his first bath at home. He wasn't a fan!

Monday, July 5, 2010
A very quiet day!!! We had a decent first night at home and Michael took this picture of us taking a nap. (he doesn't get in our bed. That was just a quick nap. He sleeps in his pack n play)
After we got up and moved around a little, I decided I needed to go to BRU to buy a breast pump since we were having so much trouble. We had one someone let us borrow, but we needed our own for long term use, so my mom picked me up and we ran to BRU quickly to get a few things I realized I needed. Michael and Nicholas did great while I was gone!

Tuesday, July 6, 2010
Tuesday was a rough day. We only got about three hours of sleep and had a constant stream of visitors. We love to have visitors, but I was very nervous and having a very hormonal day over our breastfeeding issues, so it was a hard day. We also took his newborn pictures, but very few came out because he was so fussy. We are doing a retake soon. Bless his heart! I ended up having to call my parents to come over that evening because I just couldn't take it anymore. I had a huge breakdown and was just so frustrated. I felt better by the time we went to bed and N did us a HUGE favor and slept 6 hours straight!!!! Also, a HUGE THANK YOU to Courtney for bringing us dinner. It helped my sanity that day!

Here he is swinging for the first time. I think he likes it!
Wednesday, July 7, 2010
Today is the day Nicholas was supposed to join us had he not decided to join us the week before!

We started the day at the pediatrician's office and got a great report. He weighed 8 pounds and 4 ounces, up 3 ounces from when we left the hospital! Woohoo! Thank goodness for breast pumps and bottles! Ha! That afternoon we went to see a lactation consultant. It went well, but we STILL had latching problems. Here we are modeling our shirt Chea sent us. THANK YOU!
That night, we sold our patio dining set on craigslist and took our first trip to Walmart patio department to buy our new set. I'll blog more on that later. He had a VERY busy Wednesday!
Thursday, July 8, 2010
Happy One Week Birthday!!!! I did a post on Wednesday with some pictures, so I won't show those again, but Thursday Michael went back to work and Gigi stayed with us. We made our first trip to Target to get a few things Mommy needed. He was PERFECT! He loves being on the go, which is great for us! That afternoon, my cousin Koko came to see him. Please pray for her, she is in Honduras on a mission trip with church.

Friday, July 9, 2010
We had our third night in a row of only waking once and sleeping for extended amount of time! Gigi got to our house early to help us get ready to go out. We gave N a bath and he was so awake, alert, and happy this time! Yay!
After we got ready we ran downtown to leave a fruit arrangement for our OB and his nurses. I honestly cannot say enough about them. I feel so sad that I won't be seeing them at least biweekly anymore. We've spent a lot of time together over the last year!

A few of you on twitter have asked how Spencer is doing. He is great. He LOVES his new brother. This is how I found them Thursday afternoon. SO SWEET!!!!

Update on me: I am feeling better than I have been both physically and emotionally. We decided that pumping and bottle feeding is the best option for our family. I am much happier and a lot less stressed not having to deal with the latching issues. I know that I should have kept working at it, but it just wasn't worth it to me. I've waited all this time to have N and I wanted to enjoy every moment, not spend it stressed out. I also have to say that I have lost all of my pregnancy weight!!!! I still need to lose about 10-15 more of infertility drug weight, but I am VERY excited to be back to my prepregnancy size a week postpartum.