Saturday, February 1, 2014

Surprise Snow Day!

Nicholas and I had a sick day on Tuesday  because he wasn't quite himself and his low grade temp was back. We had an appointment to see his pediatrician at 11:00 and the only thing in the forecast was maybe a few flurries, nothing to get excited about.  This was my view at 9:40, 30 minutes after those flurries started
By 10:00 this is what I was faced with as I started to panic about getting to the doctor across town. 
This is a good time to give the Southern Snow Storm disclaimer...we do not get snow very often (once every 2 years at most), so we do not have equipment to deal with this sort of thing like Northern cities, therefore traveling is not easy. 

By the time I got to the pediatrician I had slid several times and barely made it up a small hill. I called Michael to come take us home in his truck! Good news was Nicholas didn't have strep as we thought but an upper respiratory infection. He was given antibiotics and off we went at 11:30. It took 2.5 hours to go 12 miles home. There is no way my car would have made it. It spent the night at the dr's office! 
 This was our view all the way home. 
We saw wreck after wreck and I don't know if I've ever been so happy to get home safely! 
Nicholas has an awesome pediatrician and I told him he was lucky because she told him sick or not, he was to go play in the snow!  We have a great sledding hill in our neighborhood so we bundled up and off we went!  Nicholas loved it! 


We had a fun afternoon of sledding, eating chili, and hanging out with our neighbors.   Nicholas LOVED his snow day and keeps asking when he can have another one.  Sorry buddy, we don't get many of these kind of days around here!