Friday, March 25, 2011

Nicholas's New Tubes

Today was the day that Nicholas got tubes in his ears.  We saw our ENT (who actually did my tonsils 13 years ago!) on Monday and after failing a pressure test and looking into his ears, it was decided he had a very significant amount of fluid in his ears.  His ENT described it to me this morning that it looked as if someone had poured glue into both of his ears and that his eardrums were on the verge of rupture due to all the pressure on them.  We were very fortunate that we got in his office quickly and on his OR schedule as quickly as we did. 

We were scheduled to arrive at 6:30, so I got up at 1:45 to feed him one last 8 oz bottle.  He was very pleasant for the first hour and half that he was up thanks to that bottle!  We got into our same day surgery room around 7 and Nicholas did so good while they got him ready.  They brought him a couple of toys to play with and he was happy playing with Daddy! 

 After they came in and put his bracelet on his ankle and got his vitals, I could tell he was getting hungry and fussy.  We ended up walking around a little bit and cuddling with our paci and we were happy until we got Versed and Tylenol 3 for sedation, then we were quickly asleep rocking in the rocking chair with Mommy!

 Right before he fell asleep our GI dr stopped by.  He saw our name and wanted to come by to say hello and that he hoped Nicholas felt better soon.  We are so blessed with awesome drs that care for Nicholas. I really, really love our GI dr and our pediatrician.  They were such a blessing when we were having so much trouble early on before we knew about is milk allergy.

The ENT got there a little before 8:00 and we took him down the hall to preop holding.  We talked with him there and then they started surgery promptly at 8.  By 8:15 he was on the phone telling us Nicholas did well and that we definitely made the best decision for him.  I was glad to hear that.  I needed to know that it was necessary.  He also told us that his hearing had been very bad because of all the fluid.  He was basically hearing as if he was in a tin can or under water.  Bless his sweet heart!

We met him in recovery around 8:30 and after a 8 oz bottle of watered down juice, we were on our way home by 9:00!  I am amazed how fast and easy it seemed to be for him.  The ENT told us that he would be 100% better soon and if the next hour wasn't a good indication of that, I'm not sure what is!  He has been on fullspeed mode since we got home (can't you tell by all the toys behind him!)!

Hopefully our sweet boy will make a quick recovery and we've been told that he should start really talking soon and hopefully walk (he has been pulling up for almost 2 months).  We are going to be lazy the rest of the day and maybe even take a couple of naps!  Thank you to everyone who has been praying for him.  I know this isn't a major surgery, but it was a big deal to us.  It has been so long since he has been 100% well, I'm not sure what I'll do when he is all better! Ha!