Saturday, September 19, 2009

From Nurse to Patient In a Matter of Hours

Disclaimer: this may not be very interesting to you, but it is my blog/journal and I want to remember all about it, so I put all the gory details in here anyway.

Things got back to normal for a FEW hours Wednesday and Thursday. I mentioned on Wednesday that I had a kidney infection and wasn't feeling too good. What I didn't tell you, mainly because I didn't want everyone to freak out and lecture me, was that I felt so bad I had not eaten or drank ANYTHING in over 24 hours at that point. So, I was pretty weak when I went back to work on Thursday morning. So, imagine how overwhelmed I got when I saw this...
For those of you who don't understand why I don't take a vacation, now you know! Ha! Anyway, I started to shuffle through this mess and tried to drink some coffee, but just felt sick and had absolutely NO energy. My results came back on my urine sample from Wednesday and it was BAD, like so bad Dr. Smith made me call the urologist right then because it was almost renal failure bad. I knew when he said, either they could admit me or he was, I was in trouble! Well, I spent 2 hours sitting in the urologist office waiting for my work in appointment when the nurse said that I needed a CT and to come back Friday morning instead. I didn't know if I wanted to cry or go off on her or if it would be a combo of the two, so I just said ok and went down to CT.

At this point I had not eaten in 48 hours and could barely walk I was so weak and just felt like poo. I got back to our office around 1:15 and Dr. Barker realized just how sick I was when I couldn't even get up to go in rooms with him. I was MISERABLE! I was weak, in pain, and overall just didn't feel good. I was trying to drink some water, but it just made me nauseated, so around 4:30, my two wonderful, fabulous bosses decided it was time, I had to be admitted and given IV fluids and antibiotics.

Dana walked me over to my room around 5:30 and Michael came soon after with a bag of pj pants and tshirts, and clothes to wear home the next day (I was supposed to be good to go home and to my OB appointment the next morning). I called my mom and told her I wanted to try to eat some chicken and dumplins from Cracker Barrel (my all time fav sick food, it ALWAYS makes me feel better!) and I actually ate about half of my meal! It took the IV nurse (who I knew from when I worked in the hospital a long time ago) almost an hour to get an IV in me. In case anyone ever wanted to know what it looks like when someone is severely dehydrated, on aspirin, and has bad veins gets stuck, this is it...
By Friday morning I still wasn't peeing much (TMI, but sorry, it's my journal, I'll say what I want to remember) and still felt bad, so Dr. Smith decided to run a few more tests and have the urologist see me that afternoon. I had to cancel my OB appt, which made me a little sad, but what good was it going to do me to pregnant if I had renal failure??? (I am just going to ask that we just repeat this plan next cycle and start over then) When Dr. Smith came in I told him I felt so bad I had already called the answering service and cancelled my US and he laughed and said not to worry, he ran into my OB and told him I was there and he was canceling for me! Ha!

The renal US didn't show any dilation or fluid around my kidneys (which is AWESOME! I had that happen once before and got very, very sick) and the labs didn't show anything new, so the urologist and Dr. Smith decided it was just pyleonephritis (or severe kidney infection) and that I did need to stay another day for 2 more rounds of IV rocephin and fluid. I happily agreed at that point, I didn't care, just make me feel better!

By mid afternoon yesterday I was feeling a little better and found my new love...sprite! I drank 10 of these little things between yesterday afternoon and the time I left today. I made my mom stop for a 12 pack on the way home! Ha!
This morning I sent Michael home to get the house picked up and get some things we needed at the store and my mom came to drive me and my car (which was still there from when I went to work Thursday morning) home. Dr. Barker was supposed to come by this morning to let me go, but somehow I got left off the list and he thought I had already gone home, so we waited, and waited, and waited some more. Finally around 1 he found out I was still there and came by and told me I could go home. However, the resident didn't write any orders, so I sat another 3 hours before I FINALLY got out. I had my mom take this picture of me this afternoon so you could see my little set up. I had my pillow from home, my books, and my sprite. Ha! This is how I spent my last 2 days!
I was sooooooooooo happy to be home, but even more happy to be feeling better. Spencer was SUPER happy to see me and this is how we've been ever since.
Thank you to everyone who has sent texts, emails, facebook and twitter comments, and prayers our way and came to visit. It is so very much appreciated. Also, a BIG, HUGE THANK YOU to Dr. Smith for admitting me and spending so much time with me Thursday and Friday and being such a good friend. I am also very grateful to Dr. Barker for also taking care of me on Thursday and making sure I was taken care of today. I am soooooooo blessed to work for such great surgeons.

Sorry all the pictures are kind of crappy. I didn't have my camera with me, obviously since I wasn't planning on needing any blogging pictures from work when I went in Thursday morning. Hope everyone has a good weekend! I am going to spend the rest of the weekend cuddling with Spencer and watching football while resting up for Monday.

12 comments:

Beth said...

I'm glad you are back home and feel better. Your bosses sound like wonderful guys!

Amy Miller said...

I am glad that you are on the road to recovery. You are very lucky to have such great bosses looking out for you. Feel better!

Anna said...

AWWW. Sweet Spencer. I bet he was missing you something awful! Get better! And call if you need anything. :)

Guy and Julie said...

Girl---I am GLAD you're home!! You have been through it. I hope you feel so much better and get some good rest and snuggling with your puppy this weekend. You deserve it.

Anonymous said...

Aw you poor thing! Get well soon!

Jenna said...

I'm so glad you're doing better now!!

Mel said...

Sorry you had to go through all that! Glad you are feeling better.
Take care!!
Missy

Angela said...

Oh, wow, I'm so glad you're home! Whew--what an ordeal.

I looooove Sprite when I am sick!! It is the best. :)

Lauren said...

so so glad you're feeling better!!!! :)

Lianna Knight said...

So glad you are back home and feeling better!!! Praying for complete healing and a successful next cycle :)

Jennifer said...

glad you're home & feeling better! what an ordeal. and unfortunately I know the torture of bad veins too and so I know how horrible it is to get poked, especially when you're that dehydrated. it sucks.

Jenn said...

I am glad you are home. I have been sick and not online much, so I am just finding out that you werent doing well. Glad to hear all is better!!