Friday, January 17, 2014

A Typical Day In My Life

Several of you asked me to do a "day in the life" sort of post of how I spend my day and a little about our routine.  I have done a few of these in the past, but some things have changed since then.

6:30 Alarm goes off, Michael gets up and I read my devotional in bed
6:50 I get up, pick out clothes for myself and Nicholas for the day. Michael gets Nicholas up. 
7:00-7:20 I get ready, Nicholas eats cereal or oatmeal and Michael gets him dressed. 
7:25-7:30 Nicholas and I leave with coffee, my lunch, bags and coats. 
7:50-8:00 Daycare drop off 
8:05-8:15 Clock in at work
8:15-12:00 I do paperwork, review charts and dictations, faxes, phone calls, etc. 
12:00-12:30 lunchtime
12:30-1:00 Prep for patient office 
1:00-5:00 Patient office (see patients with a trauma surgeon) 
5:00-5:40 Leave work (always varies)
5:10-5:50 Pick up Nicholas 
5:15-6:15 (30 minute rush hour commute  in the evenings depends on when I leave work) Commute home while discussing the day with a very talkative 3 year old. 
6:00 (on average) arrive home and start dinner
6:30-6:45 Dinner followed by clean up while Nicholas' bath is running. 
6:45-7:15 Nicholas takes a bath. I usually use this time to get things ready for the next day or clean the kitchen if we are running late. 
7:30-8:00 play or read with Nicholas.  This is our favorite time of the day. It's the time it is just the 3 of us. No phones, computers, or distractions. 
8:00-8:15 bedtime for Nicholas 
8:15-10:00 I shower or take a bath, put away laundry some days, pick up, and do anything that needs to be done. 
10:00 Michael and I try to get into bed by 10 and we may watch tv or read for a little while or we may just go to sleep. 

This is just a sample of our days. Sometimes it's crazier and sometimes lazier. The fact Michael is home to help in the mornings is HUGE! This is new within the last 8 months and it has made my life so much easier. We split it up that he does mornings and I do bath time and bedtime at night. 

Michael and I both like to have things picked up and tidy. There are certain things I do every day to keep our house in order. I clean my countertops in the kitchen and bathroom every night. I also clean floors if needed and as I've said before, I TRY to do a load of laundry everyday, but sometimes life happens and that is the chore that gets pushed to the side before anything else. 

Nicholas' playroom gets cleaned well and picked up once a week, but we try to put away all the small toys and clutter every night before bed. His room and bathroom gets picked up every night. 

Our bedroom and bathroom seems to be a catch all spot. There is ALWAYS clothes to be put away or a pile of clothes to be sorted in the laundry room. I try to make my bed everyday, but it just doesn't always happen. 

Our living room and kitchen are the areas I concentrate on.  They are where we spend 90% of our time and where someone would be if they stopped in for a visit. I pick those rooms up several times a day when we are home and keep them as clutter free as possible every single day. I have dark hardwood floors in my foyer and living room and I've given up keeping them spotless. With a dog and 3 year old, it's impossible! I clean them well once a week, but also if we have a spill or more tracking than normal.  

I am very type A, structured person and so is Nicholas. We like to have everything in order and things run in a routine. I think that helps me to survive our lifestyle and balance my two worlds of wife and mommy and nurse. I also consume a lot of coffee during the day and wine at night. What can I say, it helps! :-)