Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day

Today was another happy day in our house. Last year we kind of overlooked Father's Day. One, it was a very busy day between seeing both dads and Michael's grandfather and going to a party at my boss' house to honor our graduating residents. Second, we just didn't want to talk about it. It was another reminder we didn't have a baby. The year before we were six weeks pregnant and excited. Everyone bought Michael a card and we talked about how much fun the next year would be. Well, that wasn't the way God planned it.

This year, we celebrated! We are so blessed and we know that. We know how it feels to not get to celebrate Mother's Day or Father's Day as parents when you really want to. Everyone came to our house and Michael made his famous stuffed hamburgers (check the recipe blog this week for the recipe, WARNING: they are MASSIVE!) and we had a good summer meal.

This morning I gave Michael his very first Father's Day gift. He collects fun, decorative beer glasses and I found this one yesterday at Hallmark. He also got a grilling cookbook to find creative ways to make some of our favs while he is the main cook at our house this summer! :-)
Around 2:00 everyone came over and it was a great afternoon on the patio. This is where Spencer spent 90% of his afternoon. Under the patio table! He was so hot!
Michael LOVES to grill, we joke that he is the "grill master". Here he is cooking hamburgers, stuffed hamburgers, and brats.
My mom and I put out the food. We had potato chips, potato salad, baked beans, brats, hamburgers, banana pudding, and Melissa made pineapple upside down cake.
I was SUPER excited to find this at Sam's yesterday! I've been wanting a drink dispenser for future birthday parties and found a great deal on this one. So, we put lemonade in here today. I also did a pitcher of water with lemon and lime. Michael always does a cooler of beer and cokes on the patio too.
Here is one of his stuffed hamburgers. It is about 1-1.25 pounds of hamburger! TOO much for the pregnant girl with very little room, that's for sure!
Michael, his dad, Melissa, and Matt sitting on the patio after lunch
My dad and his first grandchild. They are planning what they are going to do during the three days Spencer gets to stay at their house soon!
My parents and I.
As you know, I am an only child and I am very close to my parents. My dad has always been the rock of our family and I'm sure where I'd be without him. He worked hard to provide for us and to make sure I had everything I could ever want or need. He paid for my college and my first car (and half of my 2nd). I am so blessed to have him as my dad! I CANNOT wait for Nicholas to meet his Grandfather (he has yet to pick a name). He is going to teach him how to play football (he was a high school football coach for 30 years) and how to ride 4-wheelers (with a helmet at low speed, of course). I'm sure Nicholas will love him as much as I do!
Michael, his Granddad, Dad, and Melissa
The happy, excited Parents To Be! I was beyond tired by this point and so was Michael! He spent his first Father's Day working hard and cooking! It was good though!