Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Praying For Oklahoma

It has now been 2 years since the devastating tornado in our small town, but there are times I still feel overwhelmed by the things I saw as a nurse in the days and weeks that followed. This week my heart has been so heavy for those in Oklahoma, especially those missing family members, the first responders, and the hospital staff. 

I cannot imagine what the families of those sweet children at Plaza Towers Elementary are going through. I also cannot stop thinking about how awesome the teachers were as they shielded the students in the hallway as the school was destroyed.  We are again reminded that teachers love our children as if they were their own. (I know my dad always has been that way. We actually refer to his football team as "his boys" because he feels as though they are his.) 

Those involved in the recovery efforts and at the hospital are working long, emotionally and physically draining days right now and a lot of them will have post traumatic stress when it is all over. I know the sadness they are dealing with. There is nothing to bring reality into your world like seeing someone face to face that is your age that has lost everything including their wife and child while you were spared when the same tornado turned towards them a mile away from your house. I know I changed as a person after seeing the things I saw during that time.  I learned to never take anything for granted.

Please pray for my friend, Heather that I have met through blogging and twitter that lost her home. She and her family are ok, but they lost everything. If you feel led, you can read how to specifically help Heather here: http://www.vanzantfamilyblog.com/2013/05/praying-for-oklahoma-help-mills.html

Please join me in praying for those in Moore, Oklahoma and those coming to their aid. It's going to be a long, hard road ahead and they need our prayers.