Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 11



“Where were you when the world stopped turning, that September day?”  That song still makes me stop and think and reflect on that horrific day in history.  Today is the day we all need to stop and remember how we felt that day.  Sometimes I worry that many have forgotten how they felt that day. I cannot believe it has been nine years now. We all grew up hearing about events such as Pearl Harbor and the day Kennedy was shot, but did we ever think such an event would happen in our lifetime?  Or at least an event of such magnitude?  


I know exactly everything I did that day.  I was in my fifth semester of college and the last one before I would start nursing school in January.  I only had class on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, so I slept in and studied on Tuesday and Thursday before going to work as a nanny in the afternoon.  I was up around 8:30 that morning in anticipation of my new computer which would be delivered that afternoon.  I fixed some breakfast and thought that I would sit down and watch some Regis and Kelly (she had just started on the show and I loved her!), but much to my surprise ABC cut in with a special report.  I had just sat down and turned my attention to  the tv when the second plane hit.  I will never forget that sight as long as I live.  I said a prayer out loud that God would be with those in the towers and on the planes and their families.  I could not imagine what they were going through.  At that moment I became glued to the tv for the next 24 hours except to go pick up Aliza (the child I kept) and sleep for about three hours that night.  When I think back to that week, I remember such a sadness,  but also a feeling of pride.  I was so proud to be an American, with a strong, God fearing president, and I never thought for a second we would lose the battle for freedom.  I have a favorite memory of that day.  I remember on my way to pick up Aliza I heard on the radio station that a radio station was giving away American flags to anyone that wanted one.  I remember telling Aliza that it was very important that we support our country and be proud to live in such a wonderful place as we drove through the station’s parking lot to receive our flag.  I still have that flag and I think about her and how excited she was to receive it.  That sweet, innocent five year old had no idea what had happened, but she sure was proud to wave her flag and it made me cry that day and it does now when I think about it!

In the past nine years as I've gotten older and now that I have my own family, I cannot imagine what those families went through that day.  I've gotten to know a girl over the past six years through blogging and the internet that lost her fiance in the north tower that day and her story is just amazing.  It isn't my story to share, but even though she is married now and has two children, on this day she always stops and spends her entire morning remembering.  She says it is important to her even now that she never forgets and hopes no one else will either.  Keep that in your mind today.  Think about those that lost their entire lives that day.

Do you remember where you were that day?  What is your most proud moment of that week?