Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Christmas Week 2013


We had fun and exciting Christmas week at our house!  I took off the entire week just to spend some good quality time with Nicholas without work stress or feeling like neither of us were getting the best of each other.  It was the best decision I've made in a long time.  We had so much fun just being together!  When we got home from our last day or work and school on Friday, December 20, we kicked off our Christmas break by spending the evening making cookies together.  SO FUN!

On Sunday we hosted Michael's family for Christmas.  I made several appetizers and Michael made his famous eggnog and Nicholas had a great time.  He really got into opening gifts this year!  

He loved that Daddy wore the elf hat to hand out gifts!

Monday after Michael got home from work we took Nicholas to Rock City on Lookout Mountain...in 35 degree weather...to see the garden of lights.  It was so magical for him.  He LOVED seeing all the different scenes and lights.  My pictures aren't that great (have you ever tried to take pics of a wild 3 year old with Christmas lights, at night, without a flash?) but you get the idea.






Christmas Eve was a day of regrouping and getting ready for round 2 on Christmas Day at my parents house.  I got up early and went to Walmart to finish some last minute things, prepped breakfast casseroles, and in the afternoon, took Nicholas to our neighbor's to decorate cookies!  Nicholas LOVES the older kids in the neighborhood and getting to hang out with them and this was just the best afternoon to him!

Needless to say, we made a huge mess around the area where Nicholas was sitting!  Haha!

That night we made our traditional pot of gumbo and watched How The Grinch Stole Christmas.  Nicholas is OBSESSED with "The Grinch" (not sure if I should be worried about this or not?!)  We have watched the movie approximately 20 times and he can sing the song almost word for word because we STILL listen to it in the car every time we are in it!


Nicholas left Santa a note, cookies, eggnog, and a carrot for Rudolph.



After we got Nicholas in bed Santa came to visit!  He must have thought Nicholas was good boy this year!

Nicholas got up around 9:00 Christmas morning and he was excited to see what Santa left him!  He LOVED his new pirate ship, Batcave, and jeep the best!





We went to my parents house at 1:00 for Christmas with them before my extended family got there at 3:00.  Nicholas helped my Dad open the gift we got him...a mug of some pictures from football season.  I think Nicholas was more excited about that than my Dad was!
Ever since we returned from Disney, Nicholas asks several times a week for "Mickey Waffles".  My parents just happened to have found a Mickey waffle maker at Toys R Us and gave it us together.  
 Nicholas was so excited for his new Mickey waffles!  Needless to say, we made a batch the next morning!


 My mom got me a new fleece throw that we can use next football season!  I was slightly excited about my new fleece blanket, especially at the thought of using it at cold games!
 Because I am a HUGE dork, I couldn't wait to get these two gifts out.  The British history nerd and type A planer in me were THRILLED to get these!

This year I ordered all the women on my list a monogramed scarf.  These were a HUGE hit and I think they all loved them!  Clearly, the Ross family posers had to pose for a picture!  The three of us never miss a chance to pose for a picture!  Haha!


 Nicholas went hard all day long!  He had such fun and it was definitely a Christmas to remember!  One thing we always try to get him to understand is how fortunate he is and that he should be very thankful.  I made sure he said thank you before everyone left and he went around and hugged everyone to tell them thank you!  Made my day!  I always want him to be thankful and not expect gifts or attention, especially on Christmas when we want him to understand the true meaning of the holiday.