Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Where Have We Been?

This may give you some idea...


First, before we go there, let me backup and recap last week (since this is our scrapbook and I don't want to forget any of it).  Last Sunday the three of us had a lazy day and Aunt Melissa came to see Nicholas.  We are always happy to see her and excited that she came over.
 Nicholas had a fabulous week at school.  He was the only baby there most of the week and he loves his new teacher.  He was loving being the only baby there and I just had to show you this picture of him before school on Wednesday.  He has ALMOST outgrown his bouncy.  **tears**
Thursday when I picked him up he was alseep in his teacher's arms (highly unusual for my wild child) and I noticed his eye was looking a little pink and he had a lot of goop in it.  His teacher told me that he had been pulling on his ear a lot and his eye was getting worse as the day went on.  GREAT!  I knew immediately that he had pink eye.  However, just like my happy baby, he never acted like he didn't feel good.  Thursday night while I cooked dinner, he drove around in his jeep.  
Well, that was all good, because at 10:15 he woke up...mad!  I went in his room to get him and his left eye was stuck together due to the nastiness in it.  Poor baby DEFINITELY had pink eye.  He went back to bed about an hour later and we decided he would be staying home on Friday.

Friday morning I went on to work to finish up a few things and Michael stayed home.  They met me at the pedi office at 11:30 and this is what greeted me.  Bless it!  He wasn't feeling too good.
 Until he rediscovered the table paper!  I think I am just going to get him some table paper for his birthday!  Haha!
Dr. Spraggins came in and as soon as she saw him she knew that he had pink eye and also found an ear infection on the right.  We were sent home with amoxicillin and eye drops and told he should be good to go on Monday.  His chest was clear as was his throat.

Saturday we had a lazy day.  He stayed with my dad for an hour while I ran out and picked up some baby food, diapers, and this cool thing.  After reorganizing my pantry I realized I needed a baby food carousel.  I love it!  Yes, I am a dork and I even labeled each one according to day and meal.  ha!
I had been trying to find something cute on etsy for Valentine's Day and I found these super cute onesies.  They arrived on Saturday.  I think he is going to wear them for a few of his 6 month pics this weekend!

We also said goodbye to our snowfriend on Saturday.  This was around 5:00 Saturday afternoon.  He made it a lot longer than I expected!

Sunday things started to change.  When Nicholas woke up he sounded hoarse and wraspy.  I immediately thought RSV, but I convinced myself that couldn't be it since his chest seemed fine on Friday.  He was very lazy and slept a lot, including two hours with me in the bed (he FINALLY started rolling over in his sleep this weekend too!).
Well, that leads us to Sunday night.  Poor baby wouldn't eat, had a fever, and sounded terrible.  I just knew it had to RSV by then.  My mom offered to stay home yesterday and keep him so she took him back to Dr. Spraggins in the afternoon.  Again, she immediately knew it was RSV when she saw him.  He was using his abdomen to breath (a sign of RSV) and he was very wheezy.  The good news was that his ear and eye looked much better, but a swab showed that he did have RSV.  

She explained to her that normally this equals a trip to the hospital, but since he was happy, not in any obvious distress, good oxygen profusion, and was eating (he will eat a bottle slowly, just not his solids, which is ok right now).  She explained how dangerous RSV can be and what we needed to watch for and to keep him at home for the next two days.  We are hoping sweet boy will be able to return to school on Thursday, but tonight I'm not so sure.  His fever was back up to 100.4 and he sounded terrible.  So, what are these contraptions...
We are having to use a battery powered nasal aspirator (the bulb wasn't getting it because it is so thick) with saline at least hourly, an inhaler (that sure is fun for us all, not!), our awesome digital thermometer (all families need this!  Got it at Target for $40 and it has interchangeable ends, LOVE it!), Amoxicillin, and tylenol.  We are also making great use of our friend, Boogie Wipes.  After this is all over, I have a review to write on the nasal aspirator and Boogie Wipes.  Ha!

Please pray that sweet Nicholas has a better day tomorrow, no fever for 24 hours, and is able to return to school Thursday.  Also, I don't think I have mentioned it on here, but another reason I have been MIA is that I have been having a LOT of pain and numbness from my sciatic nerve.  I have pretty much gone to work, home, hot bath, and bed.  I have an appointment in the morning with a neurosurgeon.  I am hoping that everything is ok and it is an easy fix.  I will try to find the time to update again tomorrow night.  Thanks for all of the emails, comments, and tweets asking how we are and wondering where we've been.  Now you know!  It has just been a rough couple of weeks.