Sunday, January 16, 2011

Couponing At Kroger

I know this is boring to a lot of you, but I want to keep track of my progress while I learn to coupon and live on a detailed budget.  I spent a ridiculous amount of time Thursday night on Southern Savers, going through my coupons in my notebook and on cellfire, and making a list for the upcoming weekend.  I decided that this week's best deals for our family were at Kroger (which is my preferred store anyway).  They had a frozen food mega sale (meaning several frozen foods that we use were on sale and buy 10/get $5 back, big savings for us).

Now, in order to have the most organization possible (and because my current state of organization post returning back to work was like a bomb went off) I spent Friday night throwing expired stuff away and organizing our pantry.  It was fun and a stress reliever for me. (It may not look that organized, but it is, just a lot of stuff in there! Haha!)
Yesterday I went on my shopping trip to Kroger.  I had my notebook and I was ready to go.  I bought 56 items, only paid full price for 9 (including a couple bottles of wine that are gifts, so not on my grocery budget), and saved $48!  My total was $155 before the register started taking off my e-coupons, coupons, and store savings.  The grand total at the very end was $112!!!  That was huge for me on just my third week really couponing (I've just been kind of playing with it before January).  Here is what all I got in the mega event and how it all broke down into even more savings (notice my little cutie in the background).
2 Totino's pizza rolls - were 2.99/1, on sale for 1.59/1, used an e-coupon for $.40 off/2!
2 Pillsbury Savorings - were 2.99/1, on sale for 1.70/1, used a coupon for $.50 off/2!
2 Toaster Strudels - were 2.19/1, on sale for 1.89/1, used a coupon for $.50 off/2!
Lean Cuisine bags - were $2.15/ea, used a coupon for $1 off 2! (bought 3)
Hungry Man meals for Michael's lunch (gross, I know!) - bought 5 for $1.00/each.
Green Giant Steamer Bags - bought 4, were 2.99, $0.50 off, used TWO coupons for $0.50 off/2!
Here is what my freezer looked like with it all put away. Haha!

I also had an awesome coupon for $3.00 off Glad Flex Garbage bags, so I got them for $3.49!!!  However, I think the best was my surprise find of Nicholas' $29/16 oz can of Pregestimil for...$19!!!!!!  I almost screamed in excitement when I saw it pretty gold label on sale!  :-)

And, just because what post would be complete without a picture of His Royal Highness himself, here is what I did to occupy the baby while unloading groceries...
Gave him a teething ring and a spoon. He was a happy little Shopper!