Monday, July 1, 2013

Today You Are Three...

Sweet Nicholas today is a big, big day. It It is the day you turn THREE!  You've been asking for months if it was your birthday today, well sweet boy, TODAY IS YOUR DAY!!! I loved singing "the birthday song" over and over as you requested it on the way to school this morning.  I loved your enthusiasm over your special day!  It is however a day I am both excited and a little sad about.  I'm beyond excited that you understand and know it's your birthday, but a small part of my heart is a little sad too.  It is sad that my little baby is now 100% a little boy and no longer a baby. 

I woke up at 2:38 this morning and all I could think about was that 3 years ago at that very moment I was checking into the hospital to have a baby.  That baby was very long awaited, prayed for baby that many, many days I never thought I would have.  We had family rushing to the hospital with as much anticipation as we had to meet this sweet child we had all prayed for all of those years we waited.  When my alarm went off at 6:15 this morning, I cried thinking how 3 years ago at that moment I was was overjoyed at the sight of my terrified husband suddenly at ease with our baby and holding and talking to him while we waited to go to our room.  It was quite simply, the happiest day of my life.  THREE years ago today.

I have no idea how the years have flown by so fast. All I know is that everyday I wake up and the first thing on my mind is how blessed and humbled I am to be your Mommy.  All of those times God answered my prayers to be a Mommy with a "no, you have to wait a little longer", it is so true that good things come to those who wait.  I can't imagine anything better in this world than being your Mommy!  Daddy and I love you to the moon and back ten times over.  I also know that the days are sometimes very long and can seem as though we struggle with each other, but I also know the years are very short.  One day you will go away to college and leave us behind and I pray you remember all the things we have taught you and how much you are loved. 

Three years ago today I truly found the love of my life.  When they laid you next to me in the OR, I am pretty sure that was the moment my heart left my body and began walking around with you.  I feel every joy, every tear, and every emotion you feel.  I know every scar and every freckle.  You are my child and I am forever thankful that God found me worthy of being the mother of someone so special.  I am so honored to be your Mommy. 

I got up and walked into your room at 2:45 this morning and I thought of all the hundreds of times we have read On The Night You Were Born together and how every time we read the last part I cry:

For never before in story or rhyme

(not even once upon a time)
Has the world ever known a you, my friend,
And it never will, not ever again…
Heaven blew every trumpet
And played every horn
On the wonderful, marvelous
Night you were born.

I always think about how true that is.  You are such a joy to our lives.  You bring a sunshine and light up every room you enter like no one I've ever met before.  You truly are one of a kind.  God blessed more than just our family when He gave us you, He blessed the world!  God has BIG plans for you, sweet boy!  Please remember that and how much you are loved!