Monday, July 9, 2012

Oh Twodles...The Details

I LOVE, and I mean LOVE planning parties and crafting for them.  I actually purchased a Cricut after last year's party because I wanted to do it all myself this year and I'm so glad I did!  I started working on it at the end of April and really went into overdrive about 3 weeks before the party.  I knew exactly what I wanted and after browsing Pinterest and Etsy, I came up with the fine details.  

We had 2 "adult" food tables and 2 "kid" tables.  Here are the larger centerpieces for the adult tables.  The children's tables were just a little smaller, but the same thing.  I used a red bucket from Hobby Lobby, black crinkle paper, dowel rods and three styrofoam balls to make the body.  I hot glued the dowels to a styrofoam block at the bottom of the buckets.  The only advice I have is to make sure you use craft spray paint because I didn't realize that the paint would eat the styrofoam.  OOPS!             
We had a bubble station under a tent and it was a huge hit!!!  I found the Bubble Maker here.
I saw a sign like this on several blogs and on etsy and had my dad make me one.  I cut the letters on my cricut and hotglued them on.  I had several comments on how cute it was.
The easiest craft I made for the party was this balloon wreath I saw on Pinterest.  It turned out so cute and only took about 45 minutes!  I'm going to do a tutorial post later this week on how to make one because I have had so many questions about it.
Friday night I made chocolate lollipops and candies to include on the cake table as a favor to bring home.  They turned out way too cute!!!

When I started looking for ears I wasn't happy with the quality of the ones I found at the party stores or online, so I decided to make my own.  I followed the tutorial here.  This was truly a labor of love that took me about 4 hours total.  I made 30 of them and they were not perfect, but turned out pretty cute regardless.
I decided this year that I didn't want to fool with having to cut a cake and serve it, but rather spend it mingling with my guests and enjoying the party.  I will say that I do not regret that decision at all!  We did a cupcake tower with 72 cupcakes and a 6 inch cake with a fondant clubhouse on top.  It was beyond precious!!!  We did half the cupcakes in funfetti and the other half in chocolate with red, yellow, blue, and white icing.  I say this all the time, but my cake girl, Becky is AWESOME!!!


I made the toppers myself using my Cricut and cardstock.  I was super happy with the way they turned out!  I made Mickey heads, pants, and hands.
We had red and yellow plates and napkins for the adults and Mickey plates for the kids.  I hotglued ribbon to the silverware buckets and drink dispensers for a little additional detail.
We had Mickey themed food...duh!  I bought Mickey nuggets from Costco for the kids.
We also had watermelon cut like Mickey heads, Pasta Salad in a Mickey head bowl, chips, and fruit salad.
Here is the entire food table.  My mom found the Mickey at Hobby Lobby back in March in the garden stuff!  I thought it was cute as a centerpiece!
What Mickey party would be complete without a Hot Dog, Hot Dog, Hot Diggity Dog, Hot Dog Bar?!
This was my drink table after the fact.  I forgot to take a picture before. :-(  I made a Oh Twodles banner and drink labels with my Cricut.  We also had these cups for the kids from Amazon.  They were a big hit!
As always, we had a coke/sprite bucket and a beer bucket.  When I made my "We've Got Ears...Say Cheers" sign Michael joked I should make one that says "We've Got Beer...Say Cheers".  I thought it was cute, so I made one for the beer bucket too.  Haha!  So inappropriate, but funny.  Everyone thought it was cute and laughed about it.
I would like to give a huge shout out to Michael and my mom for all of their help!  I never could have pulled this off without all of their help!  Hope you enjoyed this little tour of the party details.  It was so fun and I loved planning it all.  I would LOVE to be able to party plan as a full time job, but unfortunately, we need benefits and a steady income, so that isn't possible.  I guess for now I'll just have to blow it out once a year for Nicholas' parties! :-)

And yes, I am already in planning/brainstorming mode for next year.  I am going to do a pirate party next year, complete with a treasure chest full of loot (for favors instead of doing bags).  If you follow me on pinterest, watch out, lots of pirate pins coming your way! :-)