Saturday, May 2, 2009

Kidneys, Take Out, and CTs

I'm back and that is what my week off consisted of!  It has been hard, but I made it through my blogging break!  Ha!  I did check in on a few of you throughout the week, but mostly I went to work and came home to my couch and had take out.  Why you ask, because I woke up last Saturday with a KIDNEY STONE and have been miserable ever since.  

For those of you who don't know me IRL, I have suffered with kidney stones since I was 17.  In March of 1999 I had a HUGE stone that caused me to develop fluid in my abdomen and pelvis and become septic (bad infection) and required surgery to remove.  Ever since then I have been blessed with chronic infections and kidney stones.  

I knew it as soon as I woke up, it is an unmistakable pain that I KNEW was a stone.  I luckily had some strong pain medicine and phenergan left over from my ankle injury that got me through the initial pain and nausea.  I felt a little better by Sunday so I went with Michael to get the boat cleaned and put in the water.  I still felt ok Monday and made it through the day pretty well, but by Monday night, I was hurting and sick again.  Tuesday Dr. Smith made me have a CT.  So, I left work, went to have a simple CT, well that was not so simple.  I needed a beta Hcg (blood pregnancy test) before they would radiate my pelvis.  So, not only did I miss 90 minutes of work for nothing, I got to find out that my first cycle back TTC was a failure (so much for the excitement that I had that my baby would be due on our 5th anniversary)!  Finally on Wednesday afternoon I got to have the CT which showed a possible stone.  We aren't sure if I passed one and I have pain from inflammation or if it is still there.  I am going to see a new urologist on Wednesday.  

So, yes, good thing I took a blogging break!  I am feeling a little better today, but not as well as I should without a stone.  Hopefully the new urologist can figure out why I am a stone machine.  I wish I had some cool pictures to show you from my blogging break, but I don't think you want to see pics of me lying on the couch in front of a pizza box or Logan's to go!  Ha!

6 comments:

Kelli said...

Welcome back!! :)

Sorry you've been in pain! Good luck at the urologist!

Becky said...

When we lived in Puerto Rico, we had a pastor and his wife from the US visit for the Summer. We took them up into the mountains and the wife had a kidney stone attack. We had to leave her at a small hospital where they didn't speak English and she didn't speak Spanish! It was a long week for her.

I hear kidney stones are miserable. They are also hereditary and I am the only one in my family who has not had them. The doctor says he anticipates that one day I will...

Feel better soon.

Silvina said...

I'm SO glad your back!!! I hope the new urologist can help you and hopefully prevent the stones from coming back. That must be a miserable pain. Take it easy.

Lauren Kelly said...

You poor thing! Hope you get to feeling better! Sounds like your bloggy break couldn't have been more timely!!

Jenn said...

Welcome back! I have missed you :) Hope you are feeling better and get your kidney stones taken care of! You will have to read about my fall. Oh dear?!

Lauren said...

David's had 3 kidney stones since we met, and all 3 times, his nurses told me that they'd rather have unmedicated childbirth than a kidney stone. OH MY WORD. So I can't imagine how much that hurts! Meagan's had 2, as well. I'm just waiting for my turn.